Hi everyone, and thank you for visiting my site.
I´m not a big fan of those typical artist biographies written in third person, so I’ll try to make a brief summary of the path my “Musical Story” has followed so far.
I was born in Madrid (Spain) in the early 80’s, in a humble neighborhood within the heart of the city called Lavapies – full of different cultures, immigrants, “mestizaje” and race mixes (I probably wasn’t aware of until much later, but I think that’s an important part of where my interest in all kinds of music comes from)
I had no musical training whatsoever when I was a little kid, and I started working at a very age. That has probably haunted me for my entire teen years, but it didn’t keep me away from being in hardcore and rock bands playing drums, keys, cajón flamenco, guitar, bongoes, djembe, darbuka or even bass.
Around the age of 16, we discovered that the rehearsal room was our favourite place to meet and evade, and this was, without a doubt, one of the happiest chapters of my entire life. There and then I made friends who are still by my side, and with these early formations, we managed to raise enough money for something completly unthinkable for musicians as bad as we were: recording an album.
In 1997, it was the first time I went into a studio to record an album: «Everythings struggle», by PRIMESHOCK – a sort of melodic punk/hardcore band influenced for the music of Satanic Surfers, Lagwagon, Refused, Bad Religion, Millencollin and all the melodic hardcore of the 90s.
After that, I would find myself in that same situation many, many times more in my life, even in other countries, but probably that first one, and a couple of years later recording drums for the debut album of another of my early bands, COILBOX’s 13… I remember those two occasions as a mix of nerves and excitement similar to those you get going out on stage, but with a much bigger pressure, much greater than when playing in public. I think we took ourselves too seriously, and I dare not say whether that’s good or bad, but we actually lost weight with those records.
During all that time (at this point, I don’t think I was over eighteen years old), parallelly I became completly obsessed with electronic music programming. I started with Impulse and fast trackers, into an old MSDOS computer, at around 15. I first started imitating my electro heroes, from my Jungle & Hardstepp records to The Prodigy, the first rave music, 4 hero, Leftfield, even the Chemical Brothers, or all the Gabbage and Happy Hardcore from the ID&T label, but I would later go completely crazy when I started to enter the world of Warp: Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, Plaid and even more calmed things like Orbital, Air, or Amon Tobin, who at the time I doubt I understood too well.
I also produced my own mixtapes, copies of which I gave out in my high school (mixed using only two tape decks and one vinyl deck… An absolute horror). But by the time I was done with recording the Coilbox album, I had been almost 4 years producing electronica, as well as producing all the bases for that album. The intros and outros were made with an old Pentium computer under Impulse Tracker. One could say these were my first released electronic productions!
A few crazy years touring passed by, and I got tired of always having to deal with unpaid concerts, and part-time jobs with stupid salaries to pay my studies and my place, quite fast – so quickly I decided to become some kind of “professional musician”, or at least, I wanted to take all things music a little more seriously.
Two golden records later, first as drummer and later as a musical director, I toured all around Europe and the US with many bands, playing with a whole bunch of bands that were so stylistically different (Sugarless, Head up, Huecco, Change Dessert, Lou Garx, Painbox, Taylor Made, Baselab, Void camp, Vipership, etc), and sharing the stage in festivals with a lot of my favourite bands from when I was younger (from Muse to Santana, from Skunk Anansie to Jamie Lidell). At that precise moment, I decided to dedicate myself entirely to music production, and what had always been a parallel hobby of mine, playing and recording, became part of my profession.
Since then, I’ve ran the Fashion Beat Team studios in Madrid, where we have worked with an endless list of amazing artists, covering all styles within the current music scene. We work with Universal, Sony, Emi, Warner … and many other projects of a different nature. And of course, I’ve started my personal project as Ed is Dead, focused on electronic music but always having my “acoustic” background in mind, specially for our live shows.
All my life, I’ve felt that the “underground” is a place where the evolution of art is forged, and I can probably say I like Music in most of its facets, without being tied down by style or form, but music in its humble and honest meaning, as an artform, is a way of expressing oneself to create and stimulate, a way to create a critical spirit and an aesthetic experience, to raise sensitivity… And in the end, a way to explore humanity. That’s the main reason why I created IDIOTEQUE RECORDS, my own label where I accommodate this particular vision for making songs.
These last few years, I went specially crazy exploring the frontiers of the music I love. I have created a lovely project called MJUZIK – a mixture of jazz, flamenco and electronic music, with Grammy nominee Ariadna Castellanos; I have performed with the choreographer Elias Aguirre, in a improvisation installation of contemporary dance called “Cuerpo Romo”; I have held seminars with the Prado Museum in Madrid, working on the synesthesia between music and XIX century pictures; my music video with Womoh, “STOP”, which was directed by the 3D artist Aitana Basquiat, was part of the Garden Of the Utopias, for the London Art Night… And many more things like these that really enrich myself as a musician, as a creator and as a human being.
Throughout all of my career, I’ve created many songs for myself and for others, under my name and using many aliases. I’ve had several of my works reaching #1 on iTunes, songs that lasted weeks in the top 10, and even a world #1 in the vinyl of House Music on Deck, music videos on rotation on MTV, etc…
But to be honest, the older I get, the more I realize how far my concept of music is from the one the music industry has nowadays.
I’m not too good at talking about myself, so I’d rather let my work talk for me… Here’s a sample, for those who wanna know more:
– Ed is Dead – Your Last 48 hours (Writing, Producing, Mixing, and co-mastering)
– Digital 21 & Stefan Olsdal – Spaces (Remixing)
– Maico – This is How we Dream (MUSITECA 2017 Co-Prod, Electronic Arregmnts)
– Ania – Danza Animal (Producing, co-writing, mixing)
– The Warriors & Bimba Bosé «Sugar Tits» (FBT 2013)
– The Warriors «Into Space» (FBT 2013)
– The Warriors & Bimba Bosé «Love Is a Must» (FBT 2013)
– Zoe Escolano & Odille Lima «Addicted 2 U» (Clippers 2013)
– Alex Sound «Release it» (only mix / Master)
– Les Castizos & Wallem Brothers «(only mastered)
– Fonsi Nieto – Wild And Free (Clippers 2013)
– Orleans – Dance (Mix, Master Arregments)
– Nicco – Walk this Thighrope
– Tres Trece – Hasta diez (Fashion Beat Team remix) – co-producing, mix, mastering
– La Oreja de Van Gogh – Cometas por el cielo (Fashion Beat Team rmx) – prod, mix, master
– Dremen – Fuck Faith (complete albúm) – Mastering
– Bebe – K.I.E.R.E.M.E – (Fashion Beat Team rmx) – mix, master.
– James Maad – Get Dirty – co-producing, Mixing, Mastering
– James Maad – Mr Nobody – co-prod, mix, master.
– Marta Sanchez – Get Together (Universal Spain) – co-producing, mix
– Marta Sanchez – Get Together FBT remix (Universal Spain) – producing, mix, mastering
– Marta Sanchez – Get Down ( Dj Nano remix) – co-producing, mix, mastering
– Marta Sanchez – Romeiro ao lonxe – prod, mix, mastering
– Marta Sanchez – No controles (Fashion Beat Team rmx) – arregemnt, prod, mix, master
– Marta Sanchez – Mi cuerpo pide más (Universal Spain) – arrgment, prod, mix
– Marta Sanchez – Desesperada (2012 live remix) – arrgment, prod, mix, master
– Marta Sanchez – Dime la verdad (2012 live remix) – arrgment, prod, mix, master
– Marta Sanchez – Moja mi corazón (2012 live remix) – arrgment, prod, mix, master
– Marta Sanchez – Desconocida (2012 live remix) – arrgment, prod, mix, master
– Marta Sanchez – Soldados del Amor ( 2012 live remix) – arrgment, prod, mix, master
– Jacqueline Nix – Ass city – arrgment, mix, master.
– Huecco – Dame Vida (spicy rmx FBT) -arrgmnt, co-prod,mix, master.
– Dj Nano – Everything is all right (Universal spain) – co-producing, mix , mastering
– Dj Nano – Everything is Alright (zoe remix) – co-producing, mix, Mastering
– Dj Nano – Only boy feat. Odille lima (Universal Spain) – co-producing, mix
– Dj Nano feat. Kate Ryan & Dmol – Next Road (Universal Spain) – co-producing, mix mastering
– Cali & el Dandee feat. Dj Nano – Volar (Universal) – co-producing, mix
– Tve – «+ Gente» (score) – prod, mix, master
– The Moors – Humanity – prod,mix, master
– The Moors – Guerra -prod, mix, master
– Sara Dä – Twin Souls – co-prod, mix, master
– Rosario Flores – Oye como suena, la voz (FBT mix) – arrgment, mix, master.
– Ocean Marbella – Final Countdown rmx – prod,mix, master
– The Warriors – Araña – co-producing, mix, master
– The Warriors – I´ve found you – Co-prod, mix, master.
– Fuel Fandango – Engine of the… (Fashion Beat Team rmx) (Warner music spain)- Co-prod, mix, master
– Auryn – Don´t give up my Game (Fashion Beat Team edit) (Warner Music Spain) – mix
– Void Camp – Firefight (Subterfuge Records) – Co-producing, co-mixed
– Void Camp – The News (Subterfuge Records) – Co-producing, co-mixed
– Void Camp – Marla (Subterfuge Records) – Co-producing, Co-mixed
– Void Camp – Y.B.M (Subterfuge Records) – Co-producing, co-mixed
– Paulina Rubio – Me gustas tanto (Fashion Beat Team remix) – Co-producing, Mix, Mastering
– Ed is Dead – Crazy (Subterfuge Records) – Producing, Mixing, Mastering
– Ed is Dead (Albúm) – Prod, Mix, Master
– Tony karate & FBT – Estas to loca
– Snow Patrol – Called out in the dark ( E.B.O remix) – Co-Producing, Mixing, Mastering
– Vicente Lara – First Time (alexander som rmx) – Master
– Vipership – Here comes the rain – prod,mix, mastering
– Vipership – Once upon a time – prod, mix, mastering
– Odille Lima – Liar – prod, mix, mastering
– K.y.s.e. – (b.s.o & Fx) – prod, mix, master
– Alfredo Villalba – fallwinter coll. (b.s.o & FX) – prod, mix, master